The High Council is the central Theocratic/Aristocratic and decision-making body of the Covenant.  The High Council consisted of more than 200 Sangheili and San 'Shyuum and was headed by a triumvirate known as the High Prophets or "Hierarchs." Most of the Sangheili members of the Council were assassinated in Halo 2 as part of the High Prophet of Truth's plan to replace Sangheili with Jiralhanae in Covenant society.
The Theocratic Covenant follows the orders of the High Council to the letter. They are the entire government of the Covenant. The High Council seems to be split into smaller sub-groups, with different tasks and goals which keep the Covenant up and running within all its aspects.
As of now, the exact status of the High Council is still unknown, the expulsion of the Sangheili would have left a significant power vacuum, especially in the more military-focused aspects of Covenant leadership and it is not known if the Jiralhanae would have assumed these roles yet. Add to this the invasion of the Covenant "Capital World" and "Holy City" of High Charity by the Flood apparently devastated much of the Covenant leadership, wiping out a large portion of the Covenant population and it is entirely likely that the High Council no longer exists at all whatsoever. The final defeat of the Loyalists by the UNSC and Separatists was the keystone to ending the tradition. Following the events of the Great Schism, the Sangheili Separatists would likely promote their own leader, or leaders, in the traditional way, the best warrior and leader combined. It is most likely that the Arbiter would earn this title.
- In the opening scene to Halo 2, 80 Councilors are in the Council Chamber. They are in two groups of four rows of five Sangheili, along with two groups of four rows of five San 'Shyuum.
- All Prophets of the High Council are deceased or have been deposed.
- The High Council makes an appearance in Halo Wars: Genesis at Ripa 'Moramee's sentencing.
- ↑ Halo 2
- ↑ Halo Wars:リーダーカード日本語抄訳書
- ↑ Halo: Contact Harvest, page 154
- ↑ Halo: Contact Harvest, page 271