The BR85HB Service Rifle is a gas-operated, magazine-fed, semi-automatic rifle optimized for three-round burst firing, and proven to be an extraordinarily versatile weapon at a wide variety of ranges in the hands of a capable marksman.
The BR85 Heavy Barrel Service Rifle, abbreviated BR85HB SR, and more commonly known as the Battle Rifle, is a UNSC infantry selective fire service rifle used primarily in the post-war years. It is a gas-operated, magazine-fed rifle that is extraordinarily effective against infantry energy shielding. It has a magazine size of 36 rounds and fires in three-round bursts.
- Has a large amount of ammo (216 rounds maximum).
- Four bursts can take out Elites and Spartans: three to take out the shields and one to the head.
- 3-round bursts make it easier to obtain headshots.
- 3-round bursts can strip shields and kill in a single shot.
- Lacks range and accuracy of the DMR.
- Slower reload time.
Changes from the BR55HB SR in Halo 3Edit
- Hitscan feature returns from Halo 2, making the BR85HB slightly more accurate.
- Scope is square instead of round.
- Picatinny rail on the top carry handle of the rifle (which the scope is mounted on).
- Larger reticle.
- Misriah Armory's symbol is sported on both sides of the stock of the weapon.
Changes in the Halo 4 Weapon Tuning UpdateEdit
- Main article: Weapon Tuning Update
- Capable of killing in 11 bullets (four bursts instead of five).
- Rate-of-fire was slightly decreased.
- Red reticle range was decreased.
- Early images of the BR85HB SR Battle Rifle released by 343 Industries had "BR55HB SR" printed on the side.
- An exclusive Arctic skin for the Battle Rifle was available for those who pre-ordered the game from EB Games or GameStop. This skin was later made available in the Game of the Year Edition along with other previously exclusive weapon skins.
- It is actually possible, albeit quite difficult, to score three headshots with one burst, provided each target is unshielded.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Halo Waypoint – Ordinance & Armor
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Halo 4 Limited Edition
- ↑ Halo Waypoint: The Halo Bulletin: 3.15.12 ("The BR85HB Service Rifle...")
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Halo Waypoint - The Halo Bulletin 5.29.13
- ↑ The Halo Press - Thoughts on Halo 4: Weapon Tuning