Tank and mechanized infantry battalion task forces apply their combat power to:
- Conduct sustained combat operations in all environments with proper augmentation and support.
- Conduct offensive operations.
- Conduct defensive operations.
- Accomplish rapid movement and limited penetrations.
- Exploit success and pursue a defeated enemy as part of a larger formation.
- Conduct security operations (advance, flank, or rear guard) for a larger force.
- Conduct stability operations and support operations as part of a larger force.
- Conduct operations with light infantry forces.
A battalion unit is generally considered the smallest unit able to conduct independent operations.
The typical Battlion is composed of four Companies, plus a "Battalion Headquarters Section," for a total of 800 soldiers. Each Battalion is commanded by a Major or Lieutenant Colonel, with a Gunnery Sergeant or higher serving as "battalion first sergeant."
- UNSC Army
- UNSC Marine Corps
- Orbital Drop Shock Trooper