A Battle Group is a UNSC designation for a force of ships that is smaller than a Fleet. A Battle Group is roughly equivalent to a Covenant Task force in terms of number of ships; however, a Task Force is far superior to a Battle group in terms of sheer firepower and technology.
A Battle Group is usually commanded by an Admiral, though there have been instances of smaller Battle Groups being led by Captains. Each Battle Group is assigned a number, or, when the number is not known, the Battle Group is referred to simply by its flagship. Battle Groups are also created on a temporary basis, with a specific mission or to accomplish a specific task.
Battle groups in the Inner colonies were composed of Gladius-class corvettes. Many Battle groups during the Insurrection and early years of the Human-Covenant war were built around Epoch-class heavy carriers. Battle groups, like their larger counterpart, usually are assigned a Prowler for observation and sabotage.
List of Known Battle GroupsEdit
- Battlegroup 4
- Battlegroup D
- Battlegroup Dakota
- UNSC Battle Group India
- UNSC Battle Group Sierra-3
- Sixth Battle Group
- Sol Defense Group 3/A-5
- Battlegroup Stalingrad
- UNSC Battle Group Tango
- UNSC Battle Group X-Ray
- The funding of the SPARTAN-II Program, including their MJOLNIR Armor and training, cost about as much as a Battle Group.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Halo Wars: Genesis
- ↑ Halo Graphic Novel - page 86
- ↑ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx - page ??
- ↑ Halo: Evolutions, The Impossible Life and the Possible Death of Preston J. Cole
- ↑ Halo: Warfleet – An Illustrated Guide to the Spacecraft of Halo - page 19
- ↑ Halo: Warfleet – An Illustrated Guide to the Spacecraft of Halo - pages 40 & 41
- ↑ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx - page 45