The Commando Harness is a harness worn by Sangheili Commandos. It is converse to the UNSC MJOLNIR Armor, featuring a self-motivated recharging Energy Shield, and it is an Armor Permutation in Halo 3 Multiplayer.
History and Development[edit | edit source]
This is the standard harness of the newly formed Commandos, (a branch of the Special Warfare Group) unit based upon pre-contact ground forces. The helmet features hardened communication gear and up-link capabilities, and the thoracic cage is streamlined for greater maneuverability in close environments. Lightweight construction materials and advanced internal components increase overall performance making the wearer more deadly in combat.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
Helmet Characteristics[edit | edit source]
Unlock: Earn the Overkill achievement in any ranked free-for-all playlist.
It is similar to the Assault Harness but is more smoothed and, unlike the Flight Harness it is more rounded than angular. Unlike the Assault Harness it features separate mandible guards. There is a small blue light on the forehead, one on the chin and one under each eye, which are also small blue lenses. The helmet also angles and slopes forward, giving the head a narrower appearance. The helmet also has a transparent neck guard with some aesthetic stripes down it's sides. This is the one of the rarest Sangheili helmets due to the high level of skill required to unlock it.
Shoulder Pauldron Characteristics[edit | edit source]
Thoracic Cage Characteristics[edit | edit source]
Unlock: Earn the Triple Kill achievement in any ranked free-for-all playlist.
The thoracic cage has a line of separation in the center, with a small, silver, half oval-shaped block protruding in the center.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The shoulder pauldrons were originally meant to be unlocked by earning the Killing Frenzy achievement. However, the unlock condition ID for the shoulder pauldrons was entered in the code as "_achievement_killing_frenzy", when the actual ID for the achievement was "_achievement_kill_frenzy". As a result, unlocking the Killing Frenzy achievement would not cause the pauldrons to unlock, because the pauldrons were keyed to unlock on a different, non-existent achievement.
- Bungie could not fix this mistake through an update, because it would have required players to re-download every multiplayer map, and the main menu's map file, which would total at approximately 1.11GB in size. An update of this size would not have been allowed at the time, because updates were limited to 4MB at maximum. Instead, the shoulder pauldrons were made available to all players by default in a later update to the game.
- In a Bungie Weekly Update posted by Luke Smith, the Steppin' Razor achievement was incorrectly identified as the achievement meant to unlock the pauldrons, when actually it was the Killing Frenzy achievement.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Halo 3 (First appearance)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Halo 3 Armor Description
- Bungie.net - Bungie Weekly Update: 02/08/08 ("The longstanding “Elite Commando Shoulders aren’t unlocking with the achievement” bug is being resolved in the auto update. The shoulders weren’t unlocking when the Steppin’ Razor achievement was acquired. In the post-auto update era, the Commando Shoulders will be unlocked for everyone, regardless of the status of the corresponding achievement.")
- YouTube - Lord Zedd, Halo 3 Bug - Elite Commando Shoulders Explained