Hot winds blow over what should be a dead moon. A reminder of the power Forerunners once wielded.
Diamondback's layout is almost identical to Avalanche's. It takes place in a U-shaped canyon which is cut in half by a Lethbridge Industrial building. The bases consist of three levels. The first level is simply the ground-height entrance. These entrances lead up a ramp and onto the second floor, where the flag and Teleporter are situated. From the second floor, another ramp leads to the third level, which is essentially a walkway going across the front of the base. A Man Cannon is situated here, which launches the player about halfway to the bottom of the 'U'. The landing zone of this man cannon is nearby another man cannon which launches players in the opposite direction, into the base.
The teleporters in each base lead to platforms at the corners of the U-shaped canyon, which is where the two Rocket Launchers can be found. These platform also play host to a man cannon each, which launches players into the bottom of the U.
In between the two parallel sections of the valley, there is a tunnel. It is accessible from sloped ramps of dirt that lead up to its entrance on either side. As well as a shotgun, this tunnel contains a man cannon which launches players down into the Spartan Laser spawn location at the bottom of the U. Another man cannon nearby the Spartan Laser launches players back up to the tunnel.
Changes from Avalanche
- Some minor terrain changes have been made, such as the placement of hills and rocks.
- The vehicle layout has been tweaked, including a larger variety of vehicles. However, the UNSC vehicles no longer have camouflage.
- The man cannons are much smaller than in Avalanche, and are human in design rather than Forerunner.
- Likewise, the buildings and bases are now of human design.
- Rather than being snowy, like the map's two predecessors, it is set in an arid desert—the exact opposite.
- Canonically, the map has changed location once again. Avalanche was on Installation 08, whereas Diamondback takes place on a moon which is only habitable due to Forerunner engineering.