This Forum has been archivedVisit the new Forums
I am Subtank, a local wiki passer-by, here to ask you what you think the new Administration Team should do with this wiki since Halopedia and its community (most of them) have moved on to halopedian.com. In case you haven't notice, a proposal to move out of Wikia has been passed/approved by the old Administration Team and the Halopedia community back in October 2010. It is the very reason why the wiki experienced a significant decrease traffic in activity, responses and article expansion/improvements.
The reason I'm here is not to encourage users to move on to Halopedian for the encyclopaedic info; I'm here on an all-together different matter, more specifically the fate of this wiki. I don't like a good wiki such as this to be in the dumps and tarnish Wikia's reputation. In fact, I would like to make it better and more involved again. Allow me to explain the specifics of what I had in mind to improve this wiki:
- This wiki is no longer Halopedia but it can be something else!
- Indeed, this wiki is no longer Halopedia as it was once known in the past. Halopedia is the identity of a Halo community that migrated from 2004 to 2006 to 2010. With majority of the Halopedia community gone, it is almost impossible to maintain the wiki with the amount of articles it has right now. Not only that, to keep them up-to-date without the majority of the community is a tiring and worthless task. This wiki, I'm sorry to say, is a dead wiki.
- This wiki can transform itself into the Halo Nation, a community-based wiki that covers not only the encyclopaedic part of the Halo universe but also the general Halo community-related subjects such as Community Events, Video Montages, Mods, Fan-fiction, etc. This would provide users more freedom and more interactivity amongst each other!
- This wiki can compete with Halopedian!
- While I can't say much on the subject, I can say this: the Halopedia community is what makes everything in check; the community police the articles and protects them from vandalism and harm and improves them if possible. With the majority of Halopedia community no longer operating in this wiki, I would say such efforts would last only weeks before the user is deprived of interests.
- What would happen to the articles?
- Some articles will stay, some will be deleted. Important articles such as John-117, Halo: CE, Halo 2, and Halo: Reach would stay as they are the ones that gather traffic for the wiki, whereas articles of less significance such as List of Animals, Buckman, and Untitled Halo MMO would be removed or redirected to another article. Because canon articles are likely to be less maintained and more likely to be vandalised or having fan-made info in them, it has been suggested that the contents to be summarised in a concise manner and a link that redirects the reader to Halopedian for all their canon needs.
- What else would Halo Nation wiki cover?
- Any community-based subjects/topics/media. This includes, but not limited to, fan-fiction, video montages, mods, and machinima. Whereas in the past the Halopedia community restricts users from doing so, the Halo Nation community encourages users to promote user interactivity and enjoyment!
- What could I do improve this wiki?
- You can still stay in this wiki and work together to transform the wiki into Halo Nation! However, for this to work, the current community of this wiki needs to have a consensus/general agreement.
Why we should add fan-fiction while there is already a site especially for this? (You're also a member there, hope I'm right) - steven1098s 19:35, January 4, 2011 (UTC)
- Fan-fiction could cover other things such as Fan-arts, fan-media, anything fan-related. Just because there's a wiki for it doesn't mean it's not allowed in this wiki. Again, what the users want to do is up to them.- 5əb'7aŋk(7alk) 17:38, January 4, 2011 (UTC)
You also noted above that the pages with canon info could be vandalized. So why don't you protect them as you and other administrators did with Halo: Reach, Catherine-B320 and Carter-A259? - steven1098s (UTC), 19:48, January 4, 2011
- It would be counter-productive. Vandalism can occur in two ways; unregistered vandalism (IP user) and registered vandalism (User). If the added info happens to be fanon but the page has been protected from all users, how would that be of help? It's far easier to keep them summarised and let Halopedian.com handle all the canon info. They are up-to-date. - 5əb'7aŋk(7alk) 18:00, January 4, 2011 (UTC)
And for now, one final question: What will happen to the foreign Halo Wikis? (e.g. Greek, German Halo Wikis), because the last two months I started improving the Greek Halo Wiki... - steven1098s (UTC), 20:09, January 4, 2011
- They would still be affiliated with both wikis. If Halopedian can't manage to do interwiki links with the foreign wiki, I guess we can still keep them under the Halopedia International navigation section. It's not like we're abandoning them all together. :) - 5əb'7aŋk(7alk) 18:15, January 4, 2011 (UTC)
- Those under Bungie Spotlight will get their own articles. User-created community maps will be available under User's namespace (i.e. User:Subtank/Map_Here). Of course, we could try a Halo Nation's own Community Map Spotlight which hopefully will grab some attention.- 5əb'7aŋk(7alk) 01:39, January 5, 2011 (UTC)
- K thanks. ODST Commando (Bullfrogs) 03:06, January 5, 2011 (UTC)
This suggestion makes a whole lot of sense and it's something I've had in mind as well. It's useless to have two wikis focusing on the exact same thing; it's both counterproductive and confusing to those who look for information. Halopedian is so focused on in-universe information that another wiki with a less strict policy regarding fan content would be welcome. --Jugus (Talk | Contribs) 20:48, January 27, 2011 (UTC)
- Would you include Halo events happening across the nation? C
hieftain01 13:53, February 5, 2011 (UTC)
- Would you include Halo events happening across the nation? C
- We would attempt to do so. :) — subtank (7alk) 21:55, February 5, 2011 (UTC)
- May I start now ? 00:09, February 6, 2011 (UTC)
- A great idea and potentially good community resource, this wiki still gets a high preference from google(way above halopedian) and it would be a shame to waste that. P bro 18:52, February 10, 2011 (UTC)