Halo like you have never played before.
Halo: Spartan Assault is a top-down shooter game developed by 343 Industries and Vanguard Games. The game takes place between the events of Halo 3 and Halo 4 after the end of the Human-Covenant war and details some of the first missions of the SPARTAN-IV program through the eyes of Sarah Palmer and Edward Davis.
Halo: Spartan Assault was released for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 for $6.99 on July 18, 2013. The price dropped to $4.99 on April 10, 2014. On April 17, 2014, Halo: Spartan Assault became available for Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8 with a single purchase.
Halo: Spartan Assault was released on the Xbox One on December 23, 2013, and for the Xbox 360 on January 31, 2014 for $14.99. These prices dropped to $9.99 on March 25, 2014. Players who purchased and logged into the Windows 8 or Windows Phone 8 versions of the game on or before December 15, 2013 are able to purchase the Xbox 360 and Xbox One versions of the game for the discounted price of $4.99.
- 1 Plot
- 2 Gameplay
- 3 Missions
- 4 Features
- 5 Achievements
- 6 Halo: Spartan Assault OST
- 7 Updates
- 8 Reception
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Gallery
- 11 Video
- 12 Sources
- Main article: Battle of Draetheus V
In 2554, Merg Vol's Covenant fleet, comprised of four CAS-class assault carriers and five CCS-class battlecruisers, jumps into the Draetheus system and attacks X50, Draetheus V's moon. Merg Vol, the Sangheili leading the attack, finds and reactivates a monolith deep within X50's arctic circle, revealing the moon to be a Forerunner planet constructor. The moon begins to deconstruct Draetheus V. Although Davis manages to shut down the device, the damage caused to Draetheus V is severe and the planet is evacuated.
Palmer commandeers a Phantom from Parg Vol's camp and travels to the moon to eliminate Merg Vol. After killing Merg Vol, Palmer is assigned to find the source of a signal being broadcast from inside the moon. She discovers that the signal was Davis' last words relayed by a Forerunner construct and she retrieves Davis' body.
Halo: Spartan Assault is a top-down shooter. It supports three different control schemes: touchscreen "twin-stick" controls, mouse and keyboard, and an Xbox controller (Xbox 360 wired controller in the Windows versions).
There are 30 missions which typically take 2 to 5 minutes to complete. Before starting a mission, players can purchase new options for their loadout using XP earned from completing missions or real money via microtransactions. These options only last for the duration of that mission. During a mission, players can pick up weapons and grenades, enter vehicles, and use armor abilities.
After a mission, players are scored depending on their kills, medals earned, and time spent. Each mission has a different score requirement to earn a Bronze, Silver, or Gold Star for that mission. Players earn XP depending on what Star they earned. The XP earned can be multiplied by activating skulls prior to starting the mission. Players can earn a rating higher than Gold if they complete a mission with the Thunderstorm and Black Eye skulls on and meet the score requirements for Gold.
Integration with Halo 4
Certain Halo 4 achievements give the player a free use of different loadout options. Additionally, players who complete certain requirements in Halo: Spartan Assault and then unlock the Flying Colors archive in Halo Waypoint's Classified section will unlock the following in Halo 4:
- 50,000 XP
- Flying Colors emblem
- DMR Striped (STP) skin (Halo 4 Bullseye Pack required)
- Air Assault Vision (VISN) skin (Bullseye Pack required)
- C.I.O. Rush RUSH skin (Bullseye Pack required)
- Determined stance (Bullseye Pack required)
Flood (Simulation Only)
Armor Abilities and Equipment
- Main article: List of Achievements for Halo: Spartan Assault
The Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 versions offer 25 achievements worth a total of 250 Gamerpoints. The Xbox 360 version offers 28 achievements for 400 Gamerpoints and the Xbox One version offers 30 achievements for 1000 Gamerpoints. Each achievement can be earned once per platform.
Halo: Spartan Assault OST
- Main article: Halo: Spartan Assault Original Soundtrack
The Halo: Spartan Assault Original Soundtrack was composed by Tom Salta, and consists of 27 tracks.
Halo: Spartan Assault has had many updates which fixed small bugs, however the following updates are ones that have added free content.
Operation F: Hydra
- Main article: Operation F: Hydra
On August 29, 2013, a free update called Operation F: Hydra was released. The update added five new missions, five new achievements, Xbox 360 controller support, and the ability to purchase all loadout options with XP. Upon launch of the update, a cloud save issue prevented Windows 8 players from accessing their save files. This issue was resolved with an update on August 31, 2013.
- Main article: Co-op Missions
The Xbox 360 and Xbox One versions include five new cooperative missions and new achievements. 343 Industries has not announced any plans to bring this content to the Windows or Steam versions of the game.
On April 15, 2014, the Xbox One version of the game was updated to support Community Meld, a feature that allows quick access to the store and Halo news by pressing the Y button in the main menu.
Metacritic gave it 70 (PC) and 51 (Xbox), while GameRankings gave it an even less generous 68.79% for the PC version and 55.39% for the Xbox version. The game was given 6.7/10 by IGN and 7 by Destructoid. GameInformer gave it an 8.25.
- The cinematics resemble the art and style of the Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary Terminals and the Halo 4 Terminals.
- Prior to its announcement, Halo: Spartan Assault was code named Halo: Bootcamp.
- Halo: Spartan Assault is the second Halo title to earn an ESRB rating of "Teen" rather than "Mature." The first was Halo Wars.
- Halo: Spartan Assault is the second Halo title to not be a first-person shooter. The first was Halo Wars.
- Halo: Spartan Assault is the first Halo title to be made for mobile devices.
- Halo: Spartan Assault is the first Halo title to be released on the Xbox One.
- Halo: Spartan Assault is the third Halo title to appear on PC. The first two were ports of Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2.
- Halo: Spartan Assault is the first Halo title to not be initially released on a Xbox console.
- Halo: Spartan Assault is the last Halo game to be released on the Xbox 360.
- Halo: Spartan Assault is the first game in which the player cannot change the Difficulty in the Campaign without the use of skulls.
- Although very unusual in other media, in Halo: Spartan Assault it is common to fight against Jiralhanae and Sangheili on the same battlefield.
- Though they are seen on the cover, Halo: Spartan Assault is the first Halo game in which the player does not fight Mgalekgolo.
- Halo: Spartan Assault is the first Halo game ever to be released on Steam.
- Halo Waypoint - Halo: Spartan Assault
- Steam Store - Halo: Spartan Assault
- 'Halo: Waypoint - List of games
- Halo Waypoint - Get Halo: Spartan Assault for $1.99 on Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8
- Halo Waypoint - Get Halo: Spartan Assault Once On Windows 8.1, Download Anywhere
- Twitter, bsangel
- Halo Waypoint - Halo: Spartan Assault For Xbox 360 Releases Tomorrow
- Halo Waypoint - Halo: Spartan Assault Release Date Revealed
- Halo Waypoint - Halo: Spartan Assault Price Drop on Xbox One and Xbox 360
- Halo Waypoint - If you already own Halo: Spartan Assault, get it on Xbox One and Xbox 360 for just $4.99
- Halo Waypoint - Halo: Spartan Assault is coming to Steam
- Halo Waypoint Forums - Halo Spartan Assault. Gaso challenge.
- Halo Waypoint - Halo: Spartan Assault Stats Hover mouse over question mark
- Halo Waypoint - Halo 4 XP Unlockables
- YouTube - Halo 4 Champions Bundle: Spartan Assault Content
- Halo 4 Section III ARG - Known Sequences
- Halo Waypoint - Halo: Spartan Assault Achievements
- Halo Waypoint - Xbox One/Xbox 360 Halo: Spartan Assault Achievements Revealed
- Halo Waypoint - New Halo: Spartan Assault Achievements Revealed
- Neowin - Syncing problems remain in 'Spartan Assault' despite patch
- Halo Waypoint Forums - Game Progress Is Gone
- Halo Waypoint - Community Meld
- Gameinformer - Halo: Spartan Assault
- Halo Waypoint - The Halo Bulletin 6.5.13