The game was cancelled on August 24, 2016, when the developer, Saber Interactive, announced that "the current form of Halo Online will not be released." The reason they gave for the cancellation was that Microsoft had "failed to [make] decisions on the future of the project."
The multiplayer mode was based on a modified version of Halo 3's engine and featured several classic weapons, vehicles, and maps, in addition to some new maps. One of the new maps was set in a Russian town. Match player counts varied between 4 and 16 players.
- 343 Industries had no plans to expand the game to other territories. However, they stated that if it were to happen, the game would have to go through "region-specific changes" to match players' expectations in different territories.
- 343 Industries also had no plans to bring the game to Xbox One, as the game was built "from the ground up" for PC.
- The announcement trailer shows that pre-alpha tests date back to the 20th June 2014.
- Halo Online's codename was 'Eldorado', shown by the closed alpha's executeable name and in a motd message in the trailer.
- Main article: Halo Online Announcement Trailer
- Halo Waypoint - Halo Online Closed Beta Launching in Russia
- IGN - Halo Online is a Free-to-Play PC Shooter Coming only to Russia
- Gamasutra - Microsoft cancels free-to-play Halo Online Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "GScancel" defined multiple times with different content
- Youtube: Halo Online PC 4K Gameplay - Avalanche Map
- Youtube: Halo Online PC 4k Gameplay - Edge Map
- Youtube: Halo: Online Gameplay - Epic Gravity Hammer Killing Spree (Slayer/SWAT)
- Youtube: HALO ONLINE - FIRST IMPRESSIONS & GAMEPLAY!
- Youtube: Halo: Online - New maps! (Narrows)
- Youtube - Halo Online - Reactor
- Youtube: Halo Online - Standoff 4v4 Slayer Gameplay
- Youtube: Halo: Online - New maps! (The Pit)
- Youtube: Halo Online PC 4k Gameplay - Valhalla/River World Map
- Youtube: Halo Online - OMG IS THAT LAST RESORT!? Official beta KB/M
- Halo Online - New Beta Maps: High Ground and Last Resort
- Youtube - IGN - Halo Online Announcement Trailer - Rewind Theater
- Youtube: Halo Online (PC) - DMR Swat Gameplay
- Youtube: Halo Online - Weapon "SMG" +5 types
- Youtube: Halo Online Commentary - Full Reveal of Maps, Weapons, and Vehicles splitter 02
- Youtube: Halo Online: Valhalla and forge
- Youtube: Halo Online Commentary - Full Reveal of Maps, Weapons, and Vehicles splitter 01
- Youtube: Halo Online - Leftover Forge Mode
- Youtube: Halo Online - Weapon "Covenant Carbine" +7 types
- Youtube: Halo News Today|Halo Online: TONS of Customization and NEW Armor Abilities!
- Youtube: Halo Online - All Armor Pieces