- If the current date is not December 25, set it to December 25 from the console dashboard while disconnected from Xbox Live.
- Load Halo 3 and start a Campaign mission.
- Once the loading screen begins, hold down both thumbsticks. You should see the view of the Halo ring pan out, making the message appear.
Launching Halo 3 from the disc instead of from the hard drive will make the mission take longer to load, which will give more time to see the message before it goes away.
- "Lauren" is the wife of Bungie programmer Adrian Perez, who added the Easter Egg into the game.
- The Easter Egg was first hinted at in a 2012 mail sack by Bungie employee Jon Cable in response to a community question in the Q&A. Shortly after that in another mail sack, Adrian Perez gave another hint that the Easter Egg appears on the campaign loading screen on a specific date.
- The Easter Egg was first found, or at the very least documented, after YouTube user Lord Zedd posted a video about it.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Gameinformer - Halo 3’s Last Easter Egg Is A Gift From My High School Friend To His Wife
- ↑ YouTube - Halo 3 - "Happy Birthday, Lauren!" Load Screen Easter Egg
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.