But even among this collection of steadfast soldiers there were a select few with a bond deeper than the others could ever begin to imagine, as these unique IIIs were a secret even to their peers.
The Headhunter was a classified special operations program conducted by the Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI) and the Spartan Branch. Candidates would be placed in binary or lone wolf teams. They were sent far behind enemy lines on near suicide mission in hopes that their efforts would greatly impact the enemy.
The original headhunters program was comprised of SPARTAN-IIIs who had survived rigorous training sessions at specialist camps on the far side of Onyx. They were then paired up with another SPARTAN-III from the program. These SPARTAN-IIIs would then perform missions far behind enemy lines and would likely die in combat.
The Program underwent various changes after the war. With the creation of the SPARTAN-IVs, ONI and the new Spartan Branch created a very select list of SPARTAN-III and IV operatives who could be called upon when they were needed.
During the war The Headhunters wore a more advanced version of SPI armor than typical SPARTAN-IIIs, their version included motion sensors, energy shielding, VISR technology, and a prototype Active camouflage module. The active camouflage system can only be sustained for three to five minutes and diverted power from other systems while it recharges. This active camouflage system may not have used panels like normal SPI.
As an exclusively SPARTAN-III operation, the program had a maximum contingent of six squads with five soldiers rotating in to fill gaps when one or both members of a team were lost. A total of 17 SPARTAN-IIIs were part of the Headhunters at any one time.
- The concept of the Headhunters is quite similar to that of the SPARTAN-II Program's Gray Team. Both groups are separated from their fellow SPARTANs and are sent far behind enemy lines for special covert operations. However, while the SPARTAN-IIs were aware of Gray Team, the Headhunters were secret even to their peers.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Halo Waypoint: Canon Fodder - Have S'moa
- ↑ Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe - Headhunters, Page 159
- ↑ Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe - Headhunters, Page 161
- ↑ Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe - Headhunters, Pages 161-162
- ↑ Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe - Headhunters, Pages 188-192
- ↑ Halo Waypoint: Universe - Jun-A266
- ↑ Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe - Headhunters, Page 163
- ↑ Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe - Headhunters, Page 160