Kalmiya was a Smart artificial intelligence construct created by Dr. Catherine Halsey. She served as a host for prototype routines to test the software intrusion routines and software that would later be integrated into the specialized AI, Cortana. In a sense, Kalmiya was Cortana's older "sister." 
UNSC protocol demands that prototypes such as Kalmiya must be destroyed promptly after their material goes into general use. Dr. Halsey promptly disobeyed this order. She kept Kalmiya around, likely because her previous AIs, Déjà and Cortana, had been reassigned (to an unknown position and as John-117's attaché, respectively.)
She was somewhat disturbed, though, when Dr. Halsey used a hidden fail-safe to destroy Colonel Ackerson's personal AI, Araquiel: she asked if her own code included such a fail-safe. Dr. Halsey carefully told her (Kalmiya would possibly stress-analyze her voice to verify that she wasn't lying) that not every A.I. had the fail-safe, which was the truth, just not the whole truth. Kalmiya had to be destroyed as part of Operation: WHITE GLOVE to prevent the Covenant from collecting any information in the base. Dr. Halsey activated the fail-safe in her Riemann Matrix, revealing to her that not every A.I. has such a fail-safe, only the ones that matter.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- "Whateverittakes" was the nullification code for Kalmiya's ethics subroutines.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Halo: First Strike (First appearance)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Dr. Halsey's personal journal
- Halo: First Strike, page 126 ("Kalmiya was Cortana's "older sister." Dr. Halsey had designed and tested the software intrusion routines on her. Once the process had been debugged and streamlined, she'd incorporated the routines into Cortana.")
- Halo: First Strike, page 126 ("The brass at ONI Section Three had been quite explicit in their instructions to destroy any prototype routines--an order that Dr. Halsey had promptly disobeyed.")
- Halo: First Strike, page 135
- Halo: First Strike, page 126 ("Entering those files without proper clearance is a treasonable offense, Doctor." "They can come and arrest me, then. Do as I have instructed, Kalmiya," Dr. Halsey said. "Override your ethics center subroutine four-alpha. Nullification code: 'Whateverittakes.' ")