A long walk down a short hall...
It consists of two long hallways with a base at either end. It's great for Grenade Sniping. There have been observations that the style of room is used in the level 343 Guilty Spark, and that it commonly bears the same weapons and strategical placing. The map was later remade as the map Elongation, for Halo 2. The map itself is designed for close-quarters combat due to its layout. It, in fact, resembles that of the Halo 3 map, Epitaph.
- The map has two ramps on each side of the map which leads up to a spot where you can jump to a catwalk that runs along the interior wall. The first platform you find will either have an Active camouflage or an Overshield, depending on which base is at your back. A good strategy is to keep your distance when it's crowded and pull out a Pistol. Fire single shots to make head shots easier, holding the trigger on the pistol decreases its accuracy, and the same goes for any other weapon.
- Players who check their radar more often have a better shot at finding the enemy before the enemy finds them.
- This map is a favorite for the use of Shotgun weapon set, perhaps only second to Chiron TL-34, sharing its concept with the Halo 2 successor map, Elongation which is analogous in shape.
- While standing at opposing ends of the hall, a player can get nearly every angle of the map. Try standing at the back of the map with your Pistol, zoomed in and looking down the corridors. Watch out for players jumping through the holes in the walls and crossing corridors.
- A good tactic is to hide in the holes on ground floor with a shotgun, usually with a teammate to cover your back, but this trick does not work because people tend to jump before passing the hole on ground floor.
- Another tactic would be to hide in one of the holes with a shotgun and a sniper (with or without playing the gametype) and snipe unsuspecting players that are in your sight. This also works better if you have a teammate to guard you.
- The general design of Longest appears to be based on the levels 343 Guilty Spark and The Library.
- Many of the multiplayer map developers despised the ladders in the level due to the lack of a climbing animation.
- Longest was also one of the best levels to do King of the Hill, as people who were able to get 16 people and 4 Xboxes together discovered.
- On Halo PC, the most popular match type for this map was Capture the Flag with rockets only. The rocket variation causes huge amounts of chaos and lag.