- For the music, see The Office of Naval Intelligence (song).
One of the earliest known projects undertaken by ONI was in 2321. This project, dubbed ORION, was an attempt to increase the effectiveness of Colonial Military Administration soldiers. However, this initial run was eventually postponed.
- Main article: Human-Covenant war
At the beginning of the war, some ONI analysts believed the Covenant may have visited Earth in the past. Part of this was due to the meter and a half tall Unggoy the Covenant employed. As such, the Covenant received the nickname "LGM" or "Little Green Men".
Over the course of the war, ONI absorbed or eliminated most competing civilian and military espionage services.
Following the war, the Office of Naval Intelligence had become the primary intelligence service of the UEG with nearly uncontested power in this field. ONI was also afforded a great deal of autonomy, due to its connections with the UNSC Security Council.
As of 2555, Admiral Margaret Parangosky was replaced with Admiral Serin Osman as Commander-in-Chief.
ONI has a multitude of roles, delineated to its various branches. Some of these include; military espionage, public morale and special projects.
Many of its functions and subdivisions, like the Beta-5 Division and the SPARTAN-III Program, are enigmatic, and its personnel are regarded as mysteries by mainstream naval officers. ONI personnel, especially officers, are often referred to as "spooks."
The Office of Naval Intelligence often operates independently of other UNSC branches. At times, it contravenes the law and UNSC protocol to complete top-secret missions.
Agents appear to enjoy significant latitude in the discharge of their duties, often violating moral boundaries or acquiring vast amounts of UNSC resources to achieve their ends.
Intra-ONI dynamics are often strained with intense competition among its own personnel. Agents operate under heavy scrutiny with mistakes often lead to demotion or death.
Known ONI Branches
- ONI Section Zero - Internal Affairs and investigations
- ONI Section One - Military Intelligence
- ONI Section Two - Propaganda and Information
- ONI Section Three - Special Projects
- UNSC Prowler Corps
- ONI Signal Corps
- ONI Retrieval and Acquistions
- Reverse Engineering and Prototyping - Xenotechnology
- Department of Colonial Security
It appears to have an unusually large amount of military equipment for an intelligence service, and has a strong fleet presence.
List of Units
List of Aerospace Assets
Each branch of ONI operates their own personnel.
- For Section Zero personnel, See here.
- For Section One personnel, See here.
- For Section Two personnel, See here.
- For Section Three personnel, See here.
- For Signal Corps personnel, See here.
- For Prowler Corps personnel, See here.
- Main article: ONI Facilities
- ONI's pre-Halo 3: ODST insignia features the all-seeing eye, a nod to ONI's line of work.
- The ONI insignia can be used as a multiplayer emblem in Halo 3: ODST, Halo 4 and Halo 5: Guardians.
- Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide - Page 229
- Halo Waypoint: Universe - ONI
- Halo: First Strike - Page 49
- Halo Waypoint - Universe - UNSC
- Halo: Hunters in the Dark - Page 67
- Halo Waypoint: Universe - Factions - Spartans
- Halo Encyclopedia, Page 44
- Halo: Silent Storm - A Master Chief Story - Chapter 1, Page ??
- Halo: Warfleet – An Illustrated Guide to the Spacecraft of Halo - Pages 90-92
- Halo: Fall of Reach, Page ??
- Halo: Escalation
- Halo Waypoint: Canon Fodder - Log of War
- Halo: Fractures - Extraordinary Tales from the Halo Canon - Rossbach's World, Page ??
- Halo 3 - Level: Tsavo Highway
- Halo: Warfleet – An Illustrated Guide to the Spacecraft of Halo, Page 47
- Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide, Page 34