|This article is a stub and does not have enough relevant information. You can help by expanding it.|
This article describes about the intelligence branch of the UNSC. For the music, see The Office of Naval Intelligence (song).
- 1 History
- 2 Duties
- 3 Branches
- 4 Assets
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Appearances
- 8 Sources
History[edit | edit source]
Early History[edit | edit source]
One of the earliest known projects undertaken by ONI was in 2321. This project, dubbed ORION, was an attempt to increase the effectiveness of Colonial Military Administration soldiers. However this initial run was eventually postponed.
Pre-Insurrection[edit | edit source]
Human-Covenant War[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Human-Covenant war
At the beginning of the war, some ONI analysts believed the Covenant may have visited Earth in the past. Part of this was due to to the meter and a half tall Unggoy the Covenant employed. As such, the Covenant received the nickname "LGM" or "Little Green Men".
Over the course of the war, ONI absorbed or eliminated most competing civilian and military espionage services.
Post-War[edit | edit source]
Following the war, the Office of Naval Intelligence had become the primary intelligence service of the UEG with nearly uncontested power in this field. ONI was also afforded a great deal of autonomy, due to its connections with the UNSC Security Council.
As of 2555, Admiral Margaret Parangosky was replaced with Admiral Serin Osman as Commander-in-Chief.
Duties[edit | edit source]
ONI has a multitude of roles, delineated to its various branches. Some of these include; military espionage, public morale and special projects.
Many of its functions and subdivisions, like the Beta-5 Division and the SPARTAN-III Program, are enigmatic, and its personnel are regarded as mysteries by mainstream naval officers. ONI personnel, especially officers, are often referred to as "spooks."
Operations[edit | edit source]
The Office of Naval Intelligence often operates independently of other UNSC branches. At times it contravenes the law and UNSC protocol to complete top-secret missions.
Agents appear to enjoy significant latitude in the discharge of their duties, often violating moral boundaries or acquiring vast amounts of UNSC resources to achieve their ends.
Branches[edit | edit source]
Intra-ONI dynamics are often strained with intense competition among its own personnel. Agents operate under heavy scrutiny with mistakes often lead to demotion or death.
Known ONI Branches[edit | edit source]
- ONI Section Zero - Internal Affairs and investigations
- ONI Section One - Military Intelligence
- ONI Section Two - Propaganda and Information
- ONI Section Three - Special Projects
- UNSC Prowler Corps
- ONI Signal Corps
- ONI Retrieval and Acquistions
- Reverse Engineering and Prototyping - Xenotechnology
- Department of Colonial Security
Assets[edit | edit source]
It appears to have an unusually large amount of military equipment for an intelligence service, and has a strong fleet presence.
Units[edit | edit source]
List of Units[edit | edit source]
Aerospace[edit | edit source]
List of Aerospace Assets[edit | edit source]
Personnel[edit | edit source]
Branch[edit | edit source]
Each branch of ONI operates their own personnel.
- For Section Zero personnel, See here.
- For Section One personnel, See here.
- For Section Two personnel, See here.
- For Section Three personnel, See here.
- For Signal Corps personnel, See here.
- For Prowler Corps personnel, See here.
Unknown Section[edit | edit source]
Facilities[edit | edit source]
- Main article: ONI Facilities
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- ONI's pre-Halo 3: ODST insignia features the all-seeing eye, a nod to ONI's line of work.
- The ONI insignia can be used as a multiplayer emblem in Halo 3: ODST, Halo 4 and Halo 5: Guardians.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide - Page 229
- Halo Waypoint: Universe - ONI
- Halo: First Strike - Page 49
- Halo Waypoint - Universe - UNSC
- Halo: Hunters in the Dark - Page 67
- Halo Waypoint: Universe - Factions - Spartans
- Halo Encyclopedia, Page 44
- Halo: Silent Storm - A Master Chief Story - Chapter 1, Page ??
- Halo: Warfleet – An Illustrated Guide to the Spacecraft of Halo - Pages 90-92
- Halo: Fall of Reach, Page ??
- Halo: Escalation
- Halo Waypoint: Canon Fodder - Log of War
- Halo: Fractures - Extraordinary Tales from the Halo Canon - Rossbach's World, Page ??
- Halo 3 - Level: Tsavo Highway
- Halo: Warfleet – An Illustrated Guide to the Spacecraft of Halo, Page 47
- Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide, Page 34