|This article does not have enough inline citations or proper citation format. You can help Halo Alpha by adding citations.|
Operation: RED FLAG was a planned UNSC ONI Section III operation conceived to put an end to the Human-Covenant war. The operation was never executed as planned due to the Fall of Reach. However, the operation was altered to focus on the defense of Reach's orbital defense generators.
- “A "decapitation" capture (suicide?) mission. As if there was a choice.”
The operation was to be executed in four phases.
The first phase consisted of the disabling and capture of a Class-Five Covenant vessel. As such vessels only appeared in combat zones to collect Forerunner artifacts, this phase would require the use of a colony located on a planet with a high concentration of such items as bait. It would also require the retrofit of a cruiser, either Halcyon or Marathon-class, to be capable of conducting in-atmosphere operations and surviving the punishing firepower of a Covenant capital ship.
The second phase involved the boarding of the captured Covenant vessel by the SPARTAN-IIs, who would then neutralize the onboard defenses and take control of the ship. They, with help from a then-unidentified mission specialist, would then crack the navigation database of the ship and discover the location of the Covenant homeworld.
Halsey created Cortana for the role of mission specialist.
In the third phase, the Spartans would use the captured Covenant vessel to travel to the Covenant homeworld with the help of the mission specialist.
The fourth and final phase of the operation involved the infiltration of the Covenant homeworld and the capture of a Covenant Prophet for negotiating purposes. The UNSC hoped that by capturing a Prophet and holding it hostage, they could force the Covenant into agreeing to a truce, ending a war that the UNSC would most certainly have lost.
The Fall of ReachEdit
- Main article: Fall of Reach
The Fall of Reach began on July 24, 2552. On August 14, 2552, Margaret Parangosky officially green lit the operation to take place at Reach. However, the UNSC Army destroyed the only confirmed Class-5 vessel at Reach at the time; the Long Night of Solace. Despite this, Hieronymus Stanforth forwarded to Parangosky Cortana and Dr. Halsey's choices for the mission a week later on the 27th. As well on that day, Dr. Halsey had a preliminary briefing with the recalled SPARTAN-IIs. August 30th would see the arrival of 314 Covenant vessels to the battle. Admiral Roland Freemont would recall all vessels to Reach in order to defend the planet. The original plans were scrapped in favor of defending Reach from the Covenant.
Pelican Bravo 001 was deployed from the Pillar of Autumn to deliver SPARTAN-IIs to aid in the defense of the generators. The Pelican would crash, killing four SPARTANs. These SPARTANs linked up with the remnants of Charlie Company. The SPARTAN-IIs were split into four different squads to accomplish the defense of the orbital generators; Team Alpha (Frederic-104, Kelly-087, and Joshua-029) was to destroy an encampment of Covenant, Team Beta (11 SPARTANs) was to defend Orbital Defense Generator Facility A-331, Team Gamma (Li-008, Anton-044, and Grace-093) was to retrieve Vice Admiral Danforth Whitcomb, and Team Delta (Charlie Company Marines, William-043, Isaac-039, Vinh-030, and three other SPARTANs) were to secure CASTLE Base.
Team Alpha hijacked several T26 Banshees and proceeded to the Covenant encampment. Using a Fury Tactical Nuclear Weapon, the team destroyed a hovering cruiser and all the ground forces below it. Joshua-029 was killed by small arms fire during this process.
Team Beta would fight intensely at ODG-331. However, the facility would be overrun on the ground. Followed by the arrival of three Covenant cruisers. The UNSC Majestic would then bombard the area near the ODG in order to eliminate the three cruisers. All three were destroyed and Team Beta, who were in the splash zone at the time, were likely killed.
Though the operation was never fully executed, the planning introduced new pieces of technology: the AI Cortana, the MJOLNIR Mark V, and an upgraded Autumn. Invaluable assets that would be used effectively in the Battle of Installation 04 and later influence large swathes of the UNSCDF.
- Halo: The Fall of Reach (First appearance)
- Halo: Reach
- Dr. Halsey's personal journal (Mentioned only)
- Halo: First Strike
- Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide (Mentioned only)
- ↑ Cortana was originally created specifically for RED FLAG (Source) meaning it would have been planned sometime before her activation on November 7, 2549.
- ↑ Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide - page 229
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Halo 5: Guardians Limited Edition - Bonus Item: Frederic-104 Dossier Card
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Halo: Reach Limited Edition - Bonus Item: Dr. Halsey's personal journal, August 27, 2552
- ↑ Halo Waypoint - Office of Naval Intelligence//Section 3 - Data Drop Four
- ↑ Halo: The Fall of Reach, pages 240-245
- ↑ Halo Waypoint: Universe - Cortana
- ↑ Halo 4: The Essential Visual - page 191
- ↑ Halo Waypoint: Universe - UNSC Pillar of Autumn
- ↑ Halo: Reach - Level: Winter Contingency
- ↑ Halo Waypoint - Office of Naval Intelligence//Section 3 - Data Drop Five
- ↑ Halo: The Fall of Reach 2010 Edition - Pages 335-336
- ↑ Halo: The Fall of Reach - Pages 328-330 (Digital)
- ↑ Halo Encyclopedia - Page 208 - August 30
- ↑ Halo: First Strike 2010 Edition - Pages 14-21
- ↑ Halo: First Strike 2010 Edition - Pages 31-38
- ↑ Halo: The First Strike 2010 Edition - Chapter 4
- ↑ Halo: Reach - Easter Egg: Boardwalk Radio Conversation
- ↑ Halo: Reach - Easter Egg: Reflection Radio Conversation
- ↑ Halo: First Strike - pages 90-93
- ↑ Halo: The First Strike 2010 Edition - Pages 145-146