Shane-A112 was a SPARTAN-III supersoldier. He was born in 2525 and was orphaned when his parents were killed in the First Battle of Harvest in 2525. After he was evacuated he was sent to an orphanage where he lived until he volunteered for the Spartan-III project at the age of six. He swore to get revenge on the Covenant for killing his family and destroying his home planet.
Shane was sent to Camp Currahee on Onyx to be trained with Alpha Company. The first day there, he was pushed out of a Pelican by another SPARTAN-III recruit, Robert, during a night-time Falcon Wing descent exercise. When he landed, he thought he had wet his pants, but in actuality, the skin on the back of his legs had been rubbed raw when he landed. When they both landed on the ground, he and Robert began to fight, and they had to be broken up by CPO Mendez and a drill instructor, who Shane hit in the process.
Despite Shane's scuffle with Robert in the initiation he eventually grew close to both him and another Spartan-III named Jane, and together they became Team Wolf Pack. He was killed during Operation: PROMETHEUS, along with all 300 Spartans of Alpha Company on the same mission, by a Plasma Mortar that caused him to fly through the air and land face first, unmoving and lifeless. The last time Shane is seen alive was when Kurt, together with Colonel Ackerson, Mendez, Vice Admiral Margaret Parangosky and Rear Admiral Rich watched him fight for a moment through an unknown Spartan's helmet cam until he, along with Team Wolf Pack, died. Shane had been the last Spartan on his team standing.
It is also worth mentioning that Kurt disliked the fact that SPARTAN-IIIs were sent out on high risk operations wearing less protection than the SPARTAN-II's. The differences between the more expensive but more effective MJOLNIR suit and the SPARTAN-III's Semi-Powered Infiltration armor made it more difficult for SPARTAN-III's to survive. Kurt also knew that the candidates for the SPARTAN-III program didn't completely match the perfect psychological and genetic markers set in Dr. Halsey's original selection protocols.
- When Shane saw Kurt-051 for the first time, he remembered the Green Knight he had heard of.
- Shane volunteered to be a SPARTAN-III as to wear armor like that of Kurt's and to destroy the monsters.
- Shane may be considered the posterchild of a S-III as he joined to get revenge after his parents were killed and his homeworld was glassed
- It's odd that Shane would remember being on a freighter when escaping Harvest on the year of his birth, as Human memory supposedly begins at age three.
List of appearances
- Halo: Ghosts of Onyx (First appearance)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, pages 81-87
- ↑ Halo Waypoint Forums - Catalog Interaction
- ↑ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 74
- ↑ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 77
- ↑ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 68