Spartan Abilities are abilities available to all players, featured in Halo 5: Guardians. Unlike their predecessors, Armor Abilities, Spartan Abilities are default abilities that all SPARTANs can use regardless of pick-ups. They do not have cooldown timers, however some certain abilities, namely Charge and Slide, require a certain sprinting speed to be achieved before they can be used.
- Main article: T-PACK
The Thruster Pack ability acts similarly to its Armor Ability counterpart, the M805X Thruster Pack. However, unlike previously, it does not change the camera to third-person, and gives much more speed, albeit without thrusting as far.
When a SPARTAN is in mid-air, the Ground Pound ability allows them to target a specific point below them and launch themselves towards it. Ground Pound has a short charge time in which the SPARTAN stabilizes in mid-air, leaving them vulnerable to enemies. While stabilized, the player will see a circular target appear that they use to aim the ability. If the player deactivates Ground Pound before it is fully charged, they will fall normally. Upon successful activation, the SPARTAN will launch towards the target and smack into it with a punch, dealing area-of-effect melee damage, with extra knockback. When Ground Pound is activated from an elevated position, an additional, large ring will appear around the standard targeting marker. If an enemy is hit within this larger circle, they will take normal damage & knockback. However, if they are within the standard targeting marker, they will be instantly killed.
Clamber is an ability which allows SPARTANS to pull themselves up onto ledges within their reach. It is activated by pushing the jump button while facing the object you are clambering onto.
Sprint functions similarly to its appearance in Halo 4, however with a few minor changes. It is unlimited, and can be used as many times as the player wants, until it is deactivated, or interrupted. To counteract this, the SPARTAN does not regenerate health or shields while sprinting, leaving them vulnerable to attack. After sprinting for a certain amount of time, the SPARTAN will reach a maximum sprint speed, allowing them to Charge or Slide.
Charge is a melee ability that can be activated once max sprint speed is reached. Activating Charge causes the SPARTAN to lunge forward, and tackle enemies. Charge has more range than a standard melee attack, and it applies additional damage & knockback to the target. When an enemy receives a Charge to their back, it is an instant kill.
Slide is a movement ability that can be activated once max sprint speed is reached. This ability allows the SPARTAN to slide across the ground, readying their weapon, and making them harder to hit. When Sliding, a SPARTAN moves with the same height as if they were crouching, but at a higher speed. However, the extra speed quickly dissipates, and they are left crouching. It is useful for offensive use of close-quarters weapons such as the M45D Tactical Shotgun.
- Main article: Smart-linking
Smart Scope is an extension of smart-linking, the method by which SPARTANs had previously zoomed in other Halo games. The main two differences between it and smart-linking are that all weapons, with the exception of melee weapons, can scope, and that precision (headshot-capable) weapons now have an animation in which the SPARTAN looks down the sights of the weapon. Helmet zoom has been largely replaced with Smart Scoping, and is no longer present, even on weapons without Smart Scope.
Changes from the Halo 5 Multiplayer Beta to the final gameEdit
- The top Sprint speed has been slightly reduced.
- For particular control schemes, Ground Pound has been remapped to prevent conflicts with crouch jumping.
- General tuning and bugfixes have been applied to all Spartan Abilities.
- In order to perform a Ground Pound, a SPARTAN must be a particular distance off the ground. Usually, this is best achieved by jumping off of a high platform. However, it is possible to perform a Ground Pound at reasonably low altitudes, for example by jumping off of the slightly raised platform in Tower Two on Empire.
- When using Ground Pound with the Gravity Hammer, the player will strike with said weapon rather than using a fist. This is the only weapon that changes the use of this move.
- Spartan Charge becomes an overpowered instant-kill move when using the Energy Sword. The red reticle range increases when using a Sword (especially with Vorpal Talon) and makes Spartan Charge more effective this way. This is also the only way an Energy Sword can win a clash against the Gravity Hammer, though this can kill the sword user as well.