|This article does not have enough inline citations or proper citation format. You can help Halo Alpha by adding citations.|
You wish to know about Atriox and his Banished? The Covenant's dirty little secret. The Jiralhanae they could not control.
During the Human-Covenant war, Atriox was sent to fight in 40 man teams. In each battle, Atriox was the only survivor. Tired of seeing his compatriots die, Atriox rebelled against the Covenant. Thus The Banished was created. Now, its own organization separate from the Covenant, The Banished began fighting against the Covenant before the Great Schism.
Expansion Amidst ChaosEdit
Between the Battle of Algolis and the end of the Covenant War, the fledgling Banished lacked an expert engineer. Decimus was thus tasked with finding one. He tracked down a Kig-Yar scientist named Sig Raan on Otraak. Decimus initially tried to convince the Covenant scientist, but instead she used the opportunity to test a new device on Decimus and his men; one that would let her control a hive of Yanme'e. Before she could kill the Brutes, Atriox stormed in, cleansing the hive and killing Sig. Atriox smashed the device, saying he preferred those who joined out of their own free will.
In early 2550, the Office of Naval Intelligence began to take notice of The Banished. Specifically after The Banished's attack and theft from the Carter Guard Armory. For the rest of the year, The Banished turned toward the Covenant primarily, raiding and recruiting only to have ONI notice this trail after Codename: Slow Dive. Desperate to gain any assistance in the Human-Covenant war, one ONI agent proposed making a deal with Atriox.
The Post-War EraEdit
The largest acquisition by The Banished happened in 2553. The CAS-class assault carrier Enduring Conviction and its crew would fall under control of Atriox. In the December of that year, a Banished Flotilla was in the Nereus system. Admiral Serin Osman suspected the group of being the culprits on an attack on the UNSC Donoma.
In the November of 2558, The Banished arrived at Installation 00. However, The Banished maintained some operations in the Orion Arm. After arriving, the Banished assaulted the Henry Lamb Research Outpost and killed most who were in the base.
Battling the Spirit of FireEdit
- Main article: Battle of Installation 00 (2559)
In 2559, the crew of the UNSC Spirit of Fire encountered them. Atriox attacked Red Team, and allowed them to escape. James Cutter then declared war upon the Banished. During the battle, the Banished lost the Enduring Conviction to a barrage of Sentinels. Though this loss was devastating, The Banished had discovered Installation 09. They immediately attempted to board the new Halo, though a large portion of them failed to get on thanks to the Spirit's forces. The remaining Banished forces on the ring were destroyed in attempts to access the Control Room. However, this failure didn't stop Banished forces still on the Ark proper. Colony attempted to gain control of Forerunner tech, only to be defeated by the Spirit's forces.
Awakening the NightmareEdit
A few months after the conflict on Installation 09, Pavium and Voridus led a salvage mission on the outskirts of High Charity's crash site, now quarantined by the Installation 00's Sentinels, to prevent the surviving Flood within the city from escaping. Ignorant of Atriox's order not to enter the city, Voridus used a Volatile Scarab to cut a hole in the shield containing the crash site. This resulted in a resurgence of Flood on the Ark.
The Banished's assets mainly consist of Covenant assets slightly modified to fit their unique design aesthetic.
Unlike most Jiralhanae, Atriox does not care for the Sangheili-Jiralhanae war, viewing the feud as petty. As such, he has welcomed many Sangheili into the Banished as warriors. Because Atriox and the Jiralhanae in the Banished claim to not have been involved in the betrayal and massacre of the Sangheili, many Sangheili have willingly accepted the offer, and joined viewing the Banished as "other". Let 'Volir, his crew, and three Sangheili formerly from Resa 'Azavayl's Silent Shadow squad reluctantly joined the Banished. Despite this coexistence, rivalry between the two species still manifests. The Sangheili under Decimus' command were treated with resentment and often sadistically sent on suicide missions. This is due to Decimus in particular, still holding a grudge against the Sangheili for treating the Jiralhanae as inferior during the time of the Covenant.
Atriox has no animosity towards humanity, and has probably recruited humans into the Banished as mercenaries. Banished chieftains have spread their power beyond Jiralhane colonies and into human territory, an unknown number of human criminals have been influenced and may have joined the Banished.
- Halo: Tales from Slipspace
- Halo Wars 2 (First appearance)
- Halo: Envoy (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Rise of Atriox
- Halo: Retribution
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Collectible: Phoenix Logs - Outpost, ("The Banished have perfected their strip—mining and rapid assault and extraction efforts over a decade of raiding Covenant and other targets.")
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Collectible: Phoenix Logs - Campaign Logs - Rise of Atriox V
- ↑ Halo Waypoint - Community Update - Burn Baby Burn
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Level: A New Enemy
- ↑ YouTube - Live at E3 2016 - Halo Wars 2: Behind the Scenes
- ↑ Halo: Rise of Atriox - Issue #3, Page ??
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Collectible: Phoenix Logs - Campaign Logs - Rise of Atriox I
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Collectible: Phoenix Logs - Campaign Logs - Rise of Atriox II
- ↑ Halo: Tales from Slipspace - Hunting Party, Page ??
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Collectible: Phoenix Logs - Campaign Logs - Rise of Atriox III
- ↑ Halo: Retribution - Chapter 2, Page ??
- ↑ Halo: Envoy - Chapter 12, Page ??
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Halo Wars 2 - Collectible: Phoenix Logs - Campaign Logs - The Graveyard
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Halo Waypoint - Halo Wars 2 - KNOW YOUR ENEMY
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Collectible: Phoenix Logs - Banished Buildings - Harvester
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Level: The Signal
- ↑ IGN - Halo Wars 2 Developer Interview - IGN Live: E3 2016
- ↑ YouTube - Halo Wars 2 Official E3 Trailer
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Level: Under the Dark
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Level: The Foundry
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Levels: The Halo & Last Stand
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Levels: Gatecrashers & Not On My Watch
- ↑ Halo Waypoint - Community Update: Flood of Emotion
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Awakening the Nightmare Campaign
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Collectible: Phoenix Logs - Banished Buildings - Shield Generator
- ↑ Halo: Tales from Slipspace - Hunting Party, Page ?? ("So, you've simply traded one leash for another. Vengeance is petty. Vengeance has no reward.")
- ↑ Halo: Tales from Slipspace - Hunting Party, Page ?? ("I see you for what you are and what you could be. We can do great things together. Not as master and slaves, but as the warriors you truly are.")
- ↑ Halo: Tales from Slipspace - Hunting Party, Page ?? ("I am not Tartarus or some fanatic. I am not Truth. I am not Regret. I am their remedy.")
- ↑ Halo: Tales from Slipspace - Hunting Party, Page ?? ("Agreed. Atriox is of a kind with our enemies, but he is OTHER, and an ally worth considering.")
- ↑ GameSpot - Halo Wars 2: New Character Images and Details Revealed ("...and as one of Atriox’s generals Decimus now takes a sadistic joy in ordering those Elites on the most dangerous, even suicidal, missions.")
- ↑ GameSpot - Halo Wars 2: New Character Images and Details Revealed ("Decimus still harbors some resentment against the Elites under Atriox's banner due to how Elites treated the Brutes during the time of the Covenant...")
- ↑ Previews World - Angry Atriox Brings Hell To Halo ("He would tell the soldiers that they, too, are nothing but expendable. They are nothing more than cannon fodder to be thrown at their enemies. He would tell them that he doesn’t blame them for what they are. He bears them no malice. But he would also tell them that he offers no mercy. They have a role to play, just as he does, and that means that he must kill them all.", Cullen Bunn")
- ↑ 33.0 33.1 33.2 Halo: Official Spartan Field Manual, page 161 - "In theory, all who can aid Atriox's ambition and will bend the knee are welcome, from human to hunter, but their violence and conditions of service limit recruitment opportunities."
- ↑ 34.0 34.1 34.2 Halo: Official Spartan Field Manual, page 156 - "Atriox is reported to have led a fleet of Banished to an unknown destination, but the chieftains he has organized and controlled continue to spread their influence and power throughout Brute colonies and even into human criminal enterprises."