|This article is a stub and does not have enough relevant information. You can help Halo Alpha by expanding it.|
The Unified Earth Government traced its origins back to the Interplanetary War of the mid- to late-22nd Century in the Sol system. With numerous Earth governments fighting independent battles against Frieden and Koslovics forces, the UN became involved, eventually using the war to absorb most, if not all Earth governments into itself, forming a global government to combat the terrorists and stabilize the planet and its other world colonies.
The UN won the war and the Unified Earth Government was formed, with its' primary defense, scientific and exploratory force being the newly formed UNSC. Although the UEG seemed to have complete control over Earth and its colonies, the UN still existed as an organization and a political entity in the 26th century.
Colonization and Insurrection
After the Interplanetary War, a struggling economy, population booms, and food problems created the need for outer world colonies. This became possible in 2291 when Tobias Shaw and Wallace Fujikawa discovered Slipstream Space and thus created the Shaw-Fujikawa Translight Engine. In 2310 the Colonial Administration Authority and Colonial Military Administration were founded, and a new line of interstellar colony ships were unveiled. In 2362, the first wave of colonizer ships led by the Odyssey were sent out beyond the Sol System.
After Reach was colonized by the Odyssey, a new era of colonization began. By 2390, 210 colonies had been founded, collectively known as the Inner colonies. The Inner Colonies were only the beginning, more colonies would be established further down the slipspace lanes, known as the Outer Colonies. The Outer Colonies were mostly unexplored or underdeveloped.
Between 2473 and 2485, protests and uprisings were taking place on the colonies. The People's Occupation and the Secessionist Union submitted requests for dozens of worlds to secede from the UEG. This quickly turned violent when a massive uprising on the Far Isles was put down using nuclear weapons. This coupled with the Callisto Incident in 2494 sparked the Insurrection. The rebellions claimed millions of lives. However, by the time of the Human-Covenant war most insurrectionist activity had died out.
In 2525, the UEG believed a growing insurrectionist group was gathering near Harvest and sent a strike team to counter a supposed raid, however they discovered a group of Kig-Yar who had detected forerunner artifacts on Harvest through their Luminary. After this contact, the unknown aliens, known as the Covenant Empire, sent a delegation to meet with the humans on Harvest. However the meeting turned sour after a nervous Unggoy opened fire on a Colonial Militiaman. The humans tried to make peace through pictograms. However, the Covenant leadership discovered the artifacts were in fact the humans themselves and that they were descendants of the Forerunners and declared war on the humans to keep their empire intact. This resulted in the First Battle of Harvest and the Human-Covenant war.
- “Humanity can now breathe again. The Covenant has finally been driven back. The cost in lives- our troops and our citizens- has been enormous. But freedom never comes cheaply, and now, we rebuild. I promise this to every man, woman, and child on Earth and in its colonies. While we will continue to strive for a peaceful coexistence with other species, humanity will never again allow itself to be the victim of aggression. This is the moment we start to reclaim our rightful place in the universe.”
Following the end of the war and the inauguration of Dr. Ruth Charet the UNSC handed back civilian powers on January 8, 2553. As well, the UEG began Project Rebirth to help rebuild parts of Earth after the destructive battle for the planet. The UEG and UNSC moved to regain control of colonies and began to terraform some of them, such as Reach. The UNSC enganged in some minor conflicts with Covenant splinter groups and insurgents in the colonies. They also had a brief encounter with the Ur-Didact, which cost them the city of New Phoenix on Earth.
Government and Politics
|Colonial Administration Authority||The Colonial Administration Authority is the branch that administers the various colonies that belong to the UEG.|
|United Nations Space Command||The UNSC is the UEG's military, main exploratory and scientific arm. It includes various special forces, and Militia organizations, but is mainly composed of the Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, Army, and Spartan Corps.|
|United Nations||Even though it originally formed the UEG, the United Nations has been absorbed into a branch of the Earth government by the 26th century.|
|N/A||Department of Public Record||This department manages death records, and likely other types of records.|
|N/A||Inner Territories Transportation Administration||The Inner Territories Transportation Administration was a transport authority for the Inner colonies.|
|N/A||Diplomatic Corps||The UEG operated a Diplomatic Corps.|
|N/A||UEG Senate||The UEG Senate is the legislative branch of the Unified Earth Government.|
The UEG maintained a number of colonies throughout the Orion Arm of the Milky Way galaxy, in various stages of colonization; from the well developed Inner colonies, to the largely unexplored and underdeveloped Outer Colonies.
The UEG's influence over these worlds were greatly reduced by the Covenant during the Human-Covenant War, with only Earth and a few scattered colonies left mostly intact by the end of the conflict in 2552. Since the end of the conflict, the UNSC is working to restore its galactic territories and has even recolonized some of its former worlds.
List of Known Colonies
- Main article: UEG Worlds
- Main article: National government
- Main article: UEG Politicians
|Earth||Mombasa||Section 0-5 UEG Storage Facility||Storage Facility|
- Main article: UEG Positions
- Both the Unified Earth Government and the United Nations Space Command are references to the human government (United Earth Government) and military (United Earth Space Council), respectively, from Bungie's Marathon series.
- Hunt the Truth - Episode 07: Who's Listening (Part 1)/(Part 2)
- Halo Waypoint: UEG
- Halo Story Page: Frank O'Connor/Robt McLees Interview - August 2008
- Catalog AI
- Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide - Page 229
- Halo: Contact Harvest - Page 37
- Xbox.com: Halo Storyline (Defunct, Copy on HBO Forums and Wayback Machine)
- Halo: Warfleet – An Illustrated Guide to the Spacecraft of Halo - Page 91
- Halo: Glasslands - Page 43
- Halo: Legacy of Onyx - Chapter 1, Page ???
- Hunt the Truth - Image: Obituary Documents
- Hunt the Truth - Episode 05: Out of Time
- Halo: Envoy - Chapter 1, Page ???
- Halo: Warfleet – An Illustrated Guide to the Spacecraft of Halo - Pages 90-92